Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India ICS programme 13 0/P | January - April 2013

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

India Yankee 2's story so far


From IY2 (written by Abi Hopper 24th October )

Shanubhoganahalli

India Yankee 2 has been made to feel very welcome by the people (and the animals) of Shanubhoganahalli. Our first initiation saw us adorned with bindis and flower garlands. 

Welcome ceremony

Work space on the roof of the accommodation

Sleeping quarters
We have since been guests at the first birthday of the village leader’s daughter where we were served a special mutton and chicken curry. Granted, I made the birthday girl cry and myself and Ross spent the next 2 days on the toilet, but the sentiment was there all the same.

First birthday celebrations
The Cappathi Challenge

Parents who expected waif-like shadows of their children to return, do not fear - we are averaging 4 chappathis a day, Yuna holding the current record at 7. (Yuna’s nickname is ‘Kulee’, Kannada for ‘small’) We eat 2 sizable meals of curry, rice and vegetable dishes at the cook’s house each day. Our favourite food so far being boiled eggs, which our team leader Rob especially appreciates – I never knew a boiled egg could bring so much joy to a man’s face. Our least favourite is a toss up between whole, deep fried chillis or a mushy, coconutty dessert which is like eating baby food ......with your hands. Still, none of us dislike anything as much as the Indians hate the porridge!!


“What is your problem tourists?”

Although we have been welcomed with open arms, that does not mean to say we have not been laughed at or drawn some odd stares. Us girls specifically get the feeling that the women of the village are concerned about our lack of femininity. Yesterday we were summoned for a makeover and coconut oil was combed through our dry Western hair which was plaited and decorated with flowers. Tiny Indian sized bangles were then forced on to our chubby Western wrists. Yuna was again given the full treatment and the rest of us were able to watch the village women dress her in a traditional sari. Even though we couldn’t understand each other it was just like having a girl’s night in at home, just with a severe lack of rose wine.

Down time with the children

Etta at the village mapping with a new friend!

Rob, Jack, Etta and Abi were also at the centre of attention when they went for a walk to the next village, Kuppe and found themselves sitting outside someone’s house while a small crowd them for about 10 minutes as one of the men tried to decipher why 4 lost-looking, sweaty white people were doing wandering through their village asking: “tourists – what is problem?”

Visiting other villages

In the words of our Team Leader Suni, despite the ridicule, the Delhi-bellies and crying children, India Yankee 2 have “no problems, no complaints” and we are looking forward to the next phase in our project and getting stuck into building some toilets in Shanubhoganahalli – home for the next 8 weeks.

From IY2



10 comments:

  1. ROSS HARRISON YANKEE 2
    It was so nice to get an update and photo's you are looking well and look like you are really enjoying it, hope your tummy is ok now after your deli belly! Its looks like sleeping arrangements are a bit tight hope you are managing to sleep. We are cracking on in your bedroom so hopefully it will be ready on your return, I've sent a couple of messages hope you have received them, missing you loads xxx Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ross (IY2),

    Loved the update trust you to have been ill hope you are feeling better now. Sounds like you are having a great time can't believe you have been eating eggs! I hope you haven't been keeping people awake snoring! Keep having a great time.

    Missing you lots love big sis
    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving hearing about all your adventures. Thanks for sharing your photos too - what memories you're going to take away. You'll be unsurprised to know it's rainy in Lancashire, so its good to bask in your Indian sunshine!
    All the best
    Amanda (Jake's mum IR6)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Priya (IY2)
    So briliant to see where/how you are leaving and what you are up to. Better that we thought -an actual building and showers in an incense factory - must smell great!
    You all seemed to be fed well, I suppose you do cook for yourselves occassionaly?
    How was the coconut oil? Was the head massage as 'good' as nani's? Looks like you have caught the sun.
    Can't wait to hear all about it from you and see all your photos. Missing you lots.
    Love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Ross (IY2),

    Just had a look at your update, hope you're enjoying yourself, you've got guts, because we could never do anything like that, we're all really proud of you. Sorry to hear you've had a dickie tummy, trust you! take care of yourself, looking forward to the next update.

    lots of love from Judy & Tom xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Abi - hope I'm doing this right and you get it! So great to hear what you are up to and especially that you wrote it as I can hear the way you would tell it on the phone! Mum showed me your email too which was lovely. I hope you are taking lots of pictures and writing it all down for yourself to remember. I am super jealous as it is about 0 degrees in Brighton. On the plus side I do get to eat a bowl of cereal in the morning. Haha. Can't wait for the next update! Thinking of you and missing you lots x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Priya (IY2)
    Hope you are keeping well.
    I am not sure how long it takes to get these messages but it is Divali on the 13th. I am sure it will be celebrated in style there so have a Happy Divali. I'll be thinking of you as I light the candles! We are going to mum's for the usual...
    No sign of your letter so far. I hope you have received at least one of mine by now.
    Missing you. lots of love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yuna (IY2),

    Hope you still hold the chappathis record. Very impressed at 7 a day! Photos are great. Hope you are still well and having a brilliant time.

    Lots of love, Liz and Mr Wood

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello hello Ross (IY2)

    A quick message to say I just bought your Christmas present yippeeeeee. I'm getting so excited! Ee ee.

    Also, I may or may not have sent you a couple of things (oh god that nearly got sent as 'thongs' - I promise none of them are on their way!) in the post, I hope they reach you :)

    Missing you lots as always

    Love Casey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Priya (IY2)

    Still no sign of your letter - snail post indeed. IY2 are a bit behind as all other teams have post video blogs - so looking forward to yours with more recent news. I hope you are keeping well. We are off to Raj's graduation next weekend (24th). Raju and Balraj will be coming with me, we agreed it may be too much walking for mum.

    Missing you. love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete